PREVIOUS   NEXT   CONTENTS   HOME 

Gloucester

The index of planning applications for the City of Gloucester (GBR Acc 5028) records an application made on 24 April 1890 by C Hodges to erect a kiln for burning pipes and pottery ware on land adjoining Bell Lane. The plans were passed by committee on 2 May. Unfortunately the plans are no longer on file. M C M Hodges is listed in Smart's 1891 directory as a tobacco pipe manufacturer at 12 Bell Lane. Samuel Hodges is listed, under tobacco pipe makers, at Bell Lane, in Kelly's Directories for 1894 and 1897. Goad's 1891 insurance plan of the city of Gloucester shows Hodges Tobacco and Pipe Factory on the north side of Bell Lane. The company has a long pedigree: Samuel Hodges, widower, brewer and inn keeper of Tewkesbury married in 1871 Mary Caroline Magdalena Williams, widow and pipe manufacturer of Gloucester. In Morris Directory for 1876 Mrs M C M Hodges is recorded as a tobacco pipe manufacturer at 122 High Street, Tewkesbury. Before marriage to Hodges she had been wife to Robert Williams, pipe maker of Gloucester from 1849 to his death in 1869, and before marriage to Williams her maiden name was Mary Caroline Magdalena Santos, daughter of Joseph Antonio Dos Santos. Joseph had himself been a pipe manufacturer before his death in 1839.


 PREVIOUS   NEXT   CONTENTS   HOME 

© Internet Archaeology URL: Internet Archaeology
Last updated: Wed May 22 1996

Your browser does not support JavaScript!