Excavated in 1989 by K Wiggins for the Planning Department of Limerick Corporation. At the time of writing the excavation report exists in draft only. A site plan at the scale of 1:20 and two colour photographs supplied by the excavator form the basis for the figure. The unexcavated island on the floor of the kiln chamber supported a fence post in use at the time of excavation. The kiln had clearly been demolished down to the level of the chamber floor with the chamber wall being robbed out below this. Pipes were recovered bearing the stamp of Richard Ahern who is recorded working at 18 Broad Street from 1881 to 1893. Fragments from saggars measuring 180mm in height and 300-320mm in diameter were also recovered.