Background to the Gazetteer | Table of Contents
|Site name||Allard's Quarry, Marnhull|
|Burial codes||2003 2009 2022 2023 2026 2028 2030 2035 2036 2042 2047 2051 2053 2065 2075 2084 2092 2098 2103 2104 2106 2111 2125 2127 2128 2143 2153 2181 1003 1009 1022 1023 1026 1028 1030 1035 1036 1042 1046 1051 1065 1071 1084 1092 1098 1102 1104 1127 1128 1143 1153 1157 1181|
|8/700bc-100bc||An unenclosed settlement site occupied from 5th/4th Centuries BC to 1st Century AD. 66 pits were defined as Iron Age 'A' in terms of Maiden Castle pottery forms. Pit 95 contained the skeleton of an adult female (B2) crouched on the right side with arms flexed and hands pointing to the chin. The body was lying on the floor of the pit covered with blackish soil and associated with Iron Age 'A' potsherds.
There was also the burial of an adult female c30 or more in a shallow grave (B1 near Pit 41) dug to the level of the rock surface, associated finds being Iron Age pottery sherds 'of the earliest type' and the scapula and lower jaw of a young ox, and part of the lower jaw of a young sheep.
From other pits of Iron Age 'A' period came parts of skeletons: a male skull and scraps of other bone (incomplete humerus and scapula) from the filling of Pit 24; a female skull and a young male skull from the floors of respectively Pits 44 and 94; and fragments of human jaw bones from the clean top filling of Pit 104.
|100bc-AD43||A Belgic burial B3 was found in a grave cut across and beyond Pit 132, an infilled 'A' pit. The grave was 2.1m x 0.75m x 0.8m deep, and contained an extended unsexed skeleton, head to N, feet turned to the left. Remains of nails suggested a coffin burial. The torso bones appeared to have been disturbed, and some were missing. On the floor were fragments of two necked bowls of Belgic type. A few thin slabs of stone covered the black occupation debris fill of the grave.
Near Pit 1 in a shallow scoop in the rock was the inhumation of a female (B4), and in association Belgic sherds.
|National grid square||ST|
|Bibliographic source||Williams 1950b, Whimster 1981|
© Internet Archaeology/Author(s)
Last updated: Tues Aug 10 2004