Background to the Gazetteer | Table of Contents
|Site name||Whiteleaf Hill, Monks Risborough 9|
|Burial codes||5001 5005 5021 5024 5025 5027 5030 5033 5036 5042 5044 5046 5052 5053 5065 5075 5085 5093 5096 5104 5106 5112 5128 5142 5152 5155 5167 5181|
|3500bc - 2500bc||Barrow with a kidney shaped mound, the forecourt oriented SSE. An inner earth and flint mound was reveted by large timbers laid horizontally along its sides, and was covered with chalk. In the centre opening towards the hollow eastern side of the barrow was a wooden mortuary chamber c2.4m x 1m which had contained a single dolichocephalic male skeleton, parts mostly complete, but now scattered: the left foot, skull fragments and a tooth inside the chamber, the rest outside and to the east of the chamber as if it had been shovelled out. The person was arthritic and aged c35. The body was unarticulated, and had been gathered up after deposition after death. The pottery was diverse, freshly broken, and like Abingdon, Whitehawk and Mildenhall ware, of Neolithic A2 type. (Compare Nympsfield Site 25).
Scattered throughout the inner mound were an enormous number of Neolithic pottery fragments representing 55-60 vessels (none complete but all seemingly freshly broken), flint flakes (mostly workshop debris) and some animal bones. Around the wooden chamber were shallow flat-bottomed trenches, sterile of artefacts, cut in the solid chalk floor. These were divided longitudinally by lines of stakes and packed on one side of these with clay and on the other side with clean chalk. Just outside the inner earth mound on the western side but within the chalk covering was a 'peristalith' trench 2m x 0.3m packed with clay and flints, and containing big posts.
|2500bc-14/1300bc||There were secondary deposits of cinerary urn, and Romano-British pottery in the barrow flanks.|
|National grid square||SP|
|Bibliographic source||Scott 1946, Childe and Smith 1954, Kinnes 1979|
© Internet Archaeology/Author(s)
Last updated: Tues Aug 10 2004