Background to the Gazetteer | Table of Contents
|Site name||The Caburn, Glynde|
|Burial codes||1003 1009 1021 1023 1025 1028 1030 1035 1036 1043 1045 1048 1051 1065 1075 1084 1092 1098 1101 1104 1111 1127 1129 1143 1151 1152 1153 1181|
|8/700bc-100bc||[Possible overlap site with 100bc-AD43, if the cremation deposit was found under a low barrow as Cunliffe has argued. The earliest site phases date to the 7th or 6th Centuries CalBC, and the vessels are assigned by Cunliffe to the 6th century BC.]|
|100bc-AD43||A fortified enclosure with inside 147 pits and evidence of structures. A deposit of calcined bone was found with two pottery vessels beneath the primary rampart, but on top of an earlier counterscarp bank. It was sealed by a turf-line from the rampart above.
At the bottom of the roughly square-shaped Pit 80 was an adult male mandible, the pit fill being mould and chalk with sherds, a loom weight, iron dagger blade, quern fragment, and in the upper layer Romano-British pottery.
In the 1877-78 excavations, a human lower jaw was found in the south west corner of Pit 27, with sherds and animal bone. In the outer ditch a right ulna was found, and a femur in Pit 16. [Lane Fox]
|National grid square||TQ|
|Bibliographic source||Lane Fox 1881, Curwen and Curwen 1927, Hawkes 1939b, Whimster 1981, Bruck 1995|
© Internet Archaeology/Author(s)
Last updated: Tues Aug 10 2004