Background to the Gazetteer | Table of Contents
|Site name||Cadbury Castle, Tiverton|
|Burial codes||1002 1005 1021 1023 1026 1028 1030 1035 1036 1042 1045 1051 1053 1065 1075 1084 1098 1104 1111 1121 1123 1127 1143 1161 1166 1181|
|100bc-AD43||A hill fort containing a pre-Roman shaft c18m deep, lined for the bottom 1.2m with puddled clay as for a well, with a fill below a depth of 7.5m including urn sherds, some ashes, small fragments of bone, 20 bronze bracelets and four of shale, 2 or 3 small finger rings and 2 styli of bronze, one ring with transparent light green paste intaglio, several glass and enamel beads (one ribbed), pieces of charcoal and horses' teeth. A few fragments of human bones and some ashes accompanied some of the pieces of the urns. Most of the objects had been deposited when the well or shaft had been partly filled, being found at c7.5m.
The report suggested that an alternative explanation for the fill could be the demolition of a barrow on the site to level the ground. Fox dates the finds as Romano-British in the band 2nd-4th Century AD, so the site may be doubtful.
|National grid square||SS|
|Bibliographic source||Tucker 1848, Fox C F 1952a/b, Ross 1968, Wait 1985|
© Internet Archaeology/Author(s)
Last updated: Tues Aug 10 2004