Background to the Gazetteer | Table of Contents
|Site name||King's Stanley 1, Ivy Lodge Barrow|
|Burial codes||4001 4005 4021 4023 4025 4028 4030 4035 4036 4043 4045 4051 4053 4065 4075 4084 4098 4104 4111 4124 4125 4143 4153 4154 4156 4171 4181|
|2500bc-14/1300bc||A round cairn, with in the cairn material burnt animal bones, the site having been disturbed in Roman times. The cairn floor was local red clay over Inferior Oolite.
Pit A was 2.1m x 2.1m x 1.5m deep, the edge trimmed with stones. A wooden object of yew, beech and alder was embedded in the red soil fill, 2 pieces of local Neolithic pot and several Early Bronze Age sherds. The pit itself had been dug into by a funnel shaped opening.
Pit B had been cut by a Roman trench. It was 2.7m x 1.3m x 1.3m deep, containing pieces of charred and calcined bone (possibly human), and charcoal of ash and beech.
Pit D was 1.2m wide x 1.4m deep, and filled with burnt material including a piece of unburnt human skull, sheep bones and calcined stones.
The original main cist had been removed from the cairn in 1929 when dismantling for wall and road repair was in progress. A 'Woodchester ' Beaker of Abercromby Type AC was found unstratified in the cairn then.
In the 1949 excavations a nest of 121 terebratulae globatae (possibly used as counters in games) was found near to the Early/Middle Bronze Age pottery, and a lead ring, taken to be an amulet.
|National grid square||SO|
|Bibliographic source||Falconer 1930, Clifford 1950a, O'Neil and Grinsell 1960|
© Internet Archaeology/Author(s)
Last updated: Tues Aug 10 2004