Background to the Gazetteer | Table of Contents
|Site name||Site 2, Linch Hill Corner, Stanton Harcourt|
|Burial codes||4005 4009 4021 4024 4026 4028 4030 4031 4042 4046 4051 4053 4065 4071 4073 4082 4091 4096 4103 4105 4112 4121 4122 4123 4125 4129 4143 4153 4157 4181|
|2500bc-14/1300bc||A double ring ditch, formed by two concentric ditches, the inner with causeways at the north. A rectangular grave 3m x 2.2m x 0.75m deep was at the centre, oriented NS. A layer of brown earth covered most of the floor and extended up the side of the pit, which was filled with clean gravel with a few patches of soil. The pit contained the crouched burial of a young female, half on its back, on its right side, head to south, towards the south end of the pit. On the grave floor against the left forearm were a jet slider and a much used flint knife.
There was secondary inhumation burial with its own small enclosing ring ditch intersecting the larger ditches, lying in the space between the ditches almost opposite the easterly of the two causeways. The crouched burial was made in a small coffin or box set rather to the south west side of the pit and at least 1.5m long x 0.6m wide. The body was of a young male, very crouched, on its left side, head to north, arms folded across the front so that the hands were on the shoulders. It was accompanied by a B1 type Beaker laid on its side, 7 barbed and tanged flint arrow heads in a group at the base of the pelvis, and a bone ring-pendant shaped like a small hand-glass. On the inner lip of ditch A1 and directly beside the burial pit was a small hollow containing a few bones of a sheep including part of the skull.
|National grid square||SP|
|Bibliographic source||Grimes 1944, 1960a, Kinnes 1979|
© Internet Archaeology/Author(s)
Last updated: Tues Aug 10 2004