Background to the Gazetteer | Table of Contents
|Burial codes||4005 4009 4021 4023 4025 4028 4030 4035 4037 4041 4046 4051 4065 4075 4084 4092 4098 4102 4104 4108 4111 4128 4129 4143 4152 4153 4170 4181|
|2500bc-14/1300bc||A composite round bell barrow, with an inner mound of light soil, encased by a thin layer of clayey soil embedded in the foot of which was a single stone ring. A further layer of light soil was on top, capped by clay. A ditch surrounded the barrow with a berm of 3-3.9m. The primary burial was 2.1m east south east of the central point, and was a small oval pit oriented EW. A mass of imperfectly calcined bones was resting on and covered by charcoal forming a covering dome, and probably belonged to a young female. Earth covered this filling, and a clay dome 0.75m in diameter and 0.25m high covered the pit as a whole. Charcoal had been sprinkled over the dome and surrounding original surface.
The secondary burial comprised a bundle of cremated bones, enveloped in charcoal and placed in a pit dug through the mound to the first mound. It was accompanied by a plano-convex knife (which has a narrow dating range to the Middle Bronze Age) and a flint flake, was of one person, but neither age nor sex could be firmly established.
The inner turf mound appeared in part at least to have been formed of hearth debris, and yielded a few flint chips. The stone ring was roughly constructed and included 2 cup marked stones, one at the north east, the other at the south east positions in the circle, with marks upright. These stones may have been astronomically aligned. Possibly the final clay casing of the mound did not hide these stones or the whole ring. although it was thought unlikely in the case of the smaller.
|National grid square||ST|
|Bibliographic source||Savory 1940, Powell 1995|
© Internet Archaeology/Author(s)
Last updated: Tues Aug 10 2004