Background to the Gazetteer | Table of Contents
|Site name||Handley I, Wor Barrow|
|Burial codes||5005 5009 5021 5024 5025 5028 5030 5032 5036 5042 5044 5046 5051 5052 5053 5065 5073 5075 5085 5093 5094 5098 5101 5104 5108 5110 5111 5112 5128 5142 5151 5152 5167 5181 5182 5200|
|3500bc - 2500bc||Long barrow oriented SE with irregular ditch with four causeways. The barrow mound covered a mortuary enclosure of rectangular plan with a bottle-neck entrance at the SE. On the axial line was an embanked chamber with a bank of flint nodules at the SW and turf at the NE with bracketing oval pits defining the area containing the inhumations. Six primary interments of males lay on the south side of the centre, lying by a flint bed to the west (bedding for a post trench). Three skeletons were articulated, crouched on right side, heads to south; the other three were disarticulated, some organisation of skulls and long bones, and placed in the north east corner of the space. There were plain bowl sherds and flint flakes on the old ground surface. A small mound of turf covered the interments. The whole mortuary area was enclosed by a trench with an opening to the south 'filled with flints, showing traces of piles'. Possibly the structure was a wooden mortuary house.
The primary mound was made from the chalk rubble infill of the enclosure and the addition of the external bank. The secondary mound was oval, of chalk rubble with earth lenses, including plain bowl sherds, flint flakes and a polished axe.
In the primary fill of the south east ditch was a crouched adult burial with a leaf arrow head in the ribs, and a child. Peterborough and Beaker sherds were in the secondary fill of the ditch which had been dug on the site of a much smaller and earlier ditch.
RC: from antler in enclosing ditch BM-2283R 2710 +/- 130, BM-2284R 2790 +/- 130
|National grid square||SU|
|Bibliographic source||Pitt-Rivers 1898, Grinsell 1959, Bradley 1984a, 1988a, Kinnes 1992|
© Internet Archaeology/Author(s)
Last updated: Tues Aug 10 2004