Theatre of Marcellus

To isolate the Theatre of Marcellus, four large blocks were demolished, along with the houses abutting the base of the theatre (Figure 30). Apartments and shops inside it were also removed. The stability of the ancient building and of the Palazzo Orsini above it turned out to be severely compromised, and as a result brick arches, pillars and buttresses had to be added. Six years after work had begun, the inauguration of the renovated Theatre of Marcellus took place on October 28, 1932. The monument faced a wide open area, bounded by Via del Mare, which was excavated a few years later.

Figure 30

Figure 30: The Theatre of Marcellus and the Via del Mare (AFSRCM)


© Internet Archaeology/Author(s)
University of York legal statements | Terms and Conditions | File last updated: Mon Mar 12 2012