TAESP: Building Unit Dataset

Back | Other Data Sets | Building codes | New BU search

BU Number BU0070
Village Evrykhou
Related BUs
Locality Lachisto
Easting 490054.00
Northing 3877967.00
Source GPS
Sheet Map Cadastral XXVIII-52-E1
Plot Cadastral 824.00
BU Summary Water mill, Evrykhou. Constructed of basalt and tile. Winding millrace supported by several buttresses. Wheelhouse extant with wooden wheel in situ; partially remaining millhouse with window intact above wheelhouse.
Location Lachisto (Mrs Machi also called it 'k'arres)
Vegetation barley, olives, vines, beans, citrus, wild mint
Access dirt road
Associated Land barley fields, olivegroves.Ay.Nicolaos shrine in nearby (SE) concrete retaining field wall.
Pottery Some
Tile Abundant
Length (m) 36.00
Width (m) 4.87
Height (m) 9.00
Levels Multiple
Habitable No
Occupied No
Stability III
Foundation clay tiles
Walls irregular basalt boulders set in courses of similar sized boulders
Exterior Plaster 2 layers: coarser lime and fine lime wash
Roofs Ottoman tile
Building Type Water mill
Structure Type stone and tile and masonry
Current Use abandoned
Past Use wheat grinding
Structure Name Lachistos. Also Mylos tis Panayias(ie, Mill of the BVM)
Special Features 4 tiered penstock with buttresses in tile and basalt corbels on top. Abundant Roman (?) tile used as chinking.Largest diam of penstock encountered. Limestone water overflow channel on south side of channel, 6.95m from penstock.
Description 4-tiered water channel (0.53 X 0.64m deep) with supporting buttresses every 3m, height about 5.60m beside penstock. Lower rows built of flat tile, dimensions of about 0.045 X 0.45 X0.38m (sizes vary, see field notes). First part of channel (about 15m) takes water from a primary water canal (width about 0.70m) flowing in a N-S direction. Channel then makes a 45 degree turn for 1m then continues perpendicular to first part again for 15m. 5 buttresses along north face of channel, 3 on south face. South side has adjacent primary water channel lowering water down a sloping chute flowing parallel to mill channel. Whole channel width is 1.75m and leads to penstock. Penstock is built in courses of varying materials, with horizontal courses well defined. Lower courses appear in basalt boulders with tile quoins. At irregular intervals, tiles are half the width, placed to cross over the bigger tiles, possibly for structural 'tie' reasons. The penstock is about 5.60m high, with courses in smaller and larger boulders of basalt, with tile chinking and tile is also used on the topmost channel layer to tidy up edges. Water downshute is the larges seen yet, with a diam. of 2.17m. set into rectangular floor with 0.80m high perimeter walls. Penstock has narrow 0.15m tier around its base. Mill house is partly destroyed, south side still survives, with pointed arched outflow facing west, visible under mill house remains. Outflow appears to have been shorter by about 1m. Earlier dressed stones of vaulted outflow are visible behind dressed voussoirs of later outflow vault. The stones of the earlier outflow vault seem to have moved and slipped out of position. Total height of penstock measured to eastern lower side at springers of outflow is about 8.60m. Photos in personal archive and photos by Michael Given. 2002-Photos by Chris, sketch by CAS showing turbine, break, turning block and paddle of wood.
Ownership Greek Cypriot
Owner Vassilis and Elpida
Period 1100 No
Period 1601 No
Period 1701 No
Period 1801 No
Period 1851 Yes
Period 1901 No
Period 1951 No
Oral Information Mr. Styllis, Evrichou miller: 'Lachistos' name alludes to mill being really low down in the river, in a latchia or ravine. Machi Antoniou and Panayiotis Antoniou, Evrichou carpenter. Machi, b. 1934, remembers owners as a child, 'during the war'. Name is so because owners may have bequeathed it to one of the churches, to avoid paying taxes during Ottoman rule.
Recorded By SEZ
Recorded Date 25/7/2001 00:00:00
Entered By SEZ
Entered Date 29/7/2001 00:00:00