TAESP: Building Unit Dataset

Back | Other Data Sets | Building codes | New BU search

BU Number BU0080
SIA Number TS04
Intensive Survey Zone Karkotis
Village Phlasou
Related BUs
Easting 489891.00
Northing 3880316.00
Elevation 316
Source GPS
Sheet Map Cadastral XXVIII-37
Village Plan Kato Phlasou
Plot Village 499.00
BU Summary Church, Phlasou. Rectangular plan, sandstone walls. Belltower dates to 1930.Plaster ceiling and tile roof. Four pillars support four pointed arches.
Location Adjacent to the schoolhouse
Vegetation Firs, palm trees, eucalypts
Associated Land Building enclosed within a compound
Pottery None
Tile Abundant
Chipped Stone None
Ground Stone None
Slag None
Length (m) 30.00
Width (m) 11.00
Height (m) 12.00
Levels Single
Habitable Yes
Occupied Yes
Foundation n/a
Walls Sandstone
Ceiling Plaster
Roofs Tile
Building Type Church
Current Use Church
Past Use Church
Structure Name Agios Demetrianos
Special Features Above each door is a tall, rectangular niche. On right of main door is an icon niche, more than 1m high.
Moderations/Alterations Addition of bell tower in 1930.
Description Rectangular plan; apse is half of a hexagon. On the N and S sides there are four columns that support pointed arches. There are four corner columns that support arches, two on either side of the apse. The windows of the church have carved frames that form pointed arches. The N and S doors have a large outer, middle and inner frame (Gothic), forming pointed arches. While the walls appear to be stone, the columns seem to be made of a chalky stone. The main door has a single frame with a pointed arch. On the W wall there are three curved arches. Above these is the triangular W side of the roof surmounted by a stone cross. Small concrete-paved platform around church. Compound has cracked concrete floor. On roof, individual tiled triangular roofs, 5 on each length and 3 above each wall of the apse. The date 1906 is in wrought iron in the fanlight above the southern door. The belltower has an inscription which indicates that its construction dates from 1930. The text reads: 'Expenses of the respectable donors of the village of Efrosinis and Sofokleous during the time of the Bishop of Kyreneia Mr. Makarios. Constructed in 1930 by Phil. Loizoy, architect of Galata.' Local belief is that there has been a church on this site since the 12th century.
Ownership Greek Cypriot
Date 1900
Period 1100 No
Period 1601 No
Period 1701 No
Period 1801 No
Period 1851 No
Period 1901 Yes
Period 1951 No
Oral Information Pater Michail: Agios Demetrianos was from Kithrea. The stone of the church is mined at the base of Skouriotissa mine - probably the Phoukasa quarry.
Recorded By EAS
Recorded Date 26/7/2001 00:00:00
Entered By EAS
Entered Date 30/7/2001 00:00:00