S. Aniano

Unlike nearby S. Giovanni Decollato, the church of S. Aniano did not escape destruction. Also known locally as S. Anigro, it was near piazza Bocca della Verità and had been restored by Pope Sixtus IV (1471-84). It belonged to the Compagnia degli Scarpinelli, which was instituted in 1612, and it was rebuilt again by in 1805 by the Congregazione of S. Maria del Pianto which had taken over the little church (Figure 19; Armellini and Cecchelli 1942, 775, 1250).

Figure 19

Figure 19: The church of S. Aniano (AFSRCM).


© Internet Archaeology/Author(s)
University of York legal statements | Terms and Conditions | File last updated: Mon Mar 12 2012